Giving birth to another human being and bringing it to the world, whether through an unmedicated vaginal birth or an emergency cesarean is something stunning and makes you feel intrinsically powerful. Hence birth is an exceptionally transformative and beautiful experience. Nonetheless, giving birth to a new life is a challenge in its own way. It is important to manage your things and resources to have a proper and safe baby delivery.
Normal delivery also referred to as natural and vaginal birth is the term to describe a baby delivery done without using any tools or other delivery methods for birthing. Since the baby is delivered through the vagina, it is called Vaginal Delivery. It is the most common and cost-effective way of delivering a baby. And although normal delivery is painful because no anesthesia is given, still it is a safe delivery option. There is also the possibility of a tear in the cervix during the process of dilation or a tear in the vaginal tissues due to excessive force. But all this is very common and can be repaired easily.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Normal Delivery-
- Shorter Labour
- Less duration of stay in the hospital
- Less recovery time, in comparison with C-section
- Stimulates breastfeeding
- Involves very few risks for the mother and the baby.
There are certain risks involved with normal delivery-
- Heavy bleeding
- Tissue scarring
- Tear in the vagina
- Pelvic muscles injury
- Perineum pain
Symptoms of Normal Delivery
Your doctor will do a Normal Delivery based on certain indications like-
- Health conditions of the mother.
- The health of the unborn baby.
- Baby’s position and size.
- Absence of distress signs.
Normal Delivery Cost in Delhi: Baby Delivery Charges, Cost of Normal Delivery in New Delhi
Normal Delivery Charges in Delhi are comparatively lesser as compared to Cesarean (C-section). These charges depend on various factors such as the experience of the doctor, facilities provided by the hospital, the number of days you stay at the hospital, room type, availability of NICU, and more. In the case of normal delivery, you might have to stay at the hospital for around 2-3 days, whereas the average stay in cesarean cases can reach up to 3-4 days or more. This is one of the reasons why hospitals have a range of normal delivery cost in Delhi.
Generally, the normal delivery cost in Delhi is around INR 25,000/- to INR 1,00,000/-. This range is due to factors like- the type of room you choose and more. Normal delivery in Government hospitals is done free of cost whereas private hospitals charge for the same (as mentioned above).
C-section Delivery (Cesarean)
C-section delivery, cesarean delivery is a surgical procure, in which a baby is delivered via incisions made in the mother’s abdomen and uterus. Cesarean delivery is opted for when normal delivery is not possible.
In case you develop pregnancy complications or have had a C-section previously and are not considering vaginal delivery, C-section might be planned before time.
In other cases (emergency), your doctor might right away decide at the time of labor that you need a C-section. This is because a sudden change may arise in your or your baby’s health making it too risky to have a normal vaginal delivery.
Advantages & Disadvantages of C-section Delivery-
- Less pain and discomfort as compared to normal delivery
- A safer option in complicated pregnancy cases
There are certain risks involved with cesarean delivery-
- Blood loss
- Blood clots might enter the bloodstream
- Bowel or bladder injury
- Weakening of the uterine wall due to the incision made
- Placenta abnormalities in future pregnancies
- Injury to the baby
- Negative reaction to anesthesia
Why is C-section delivery done?
Your doctor will do a C-section Delivery if it is a safer option as compared to vaginal delivery. A cesarean delivery might be planned in advance if a medical reason calls for it, or it might be unplanned and take place during your labor if certain problems arise.
You may be recommended a C-section if-
- The baby is in distress- Cesarean is the best option if your doctor notices and is concerned about changes in the heartbeat of your baby.
- No progress in labor- If your cervix is not opening enough even at the time of strong contractions over hours, C-section is recommended.
- Cephalopelvic disproportion- CPD is a situation when your baby’s head or body is too large to pass through your pelvis or your pelvis is not big enough to deliver an average-sized baby.
- Abnormal position of the baby- If the baby’s feet or buttocks enter the birth canal first or if he/she is positioned in a transverse position, then C-section is the safest way.
- You are carrying more than one baby- A c-section is recommended if you are carrying more than one baby.
- Problem with the placenta- If the placenta covers the cervix opening, C-section is recommended.
- Cord compression- A C-section is recommended if the umbilical cord gets wrapped around the baby.
- Prolapsed umbilical cord- If a loop of umbilical cord slips through your cervix before your baby, C-section might be needed.
- You have a health condition- A cesarean is done in cases where you have a severe health problem like a brain or heart condition or you are suffering from genital herpes infection during labor.
- Previous C-section birth- Even though it is possible to have a vaginal delivery after previous c-section delivery, but not in all cases. It depends on the type of uterine incision made previously along with other factors.
C-section Delivery Cost in Delhi: Baby Delivery Charges, Cost of C-section Delivery in New Delhi
Cesarean is major surgery and requires proper pre and post-operative care and risk management for both the mother and the baby-making them much more expensive than normal delivery. Hospitals that provide the services of C-section delivery are equipped with the best technology, highly experienced gynecologists/obstetricians, and high-tech infrastructure to provide the mother and her child the best possible delivery services and comfort at affordable prices. C-section cost depends upon certain factors like- the doctor’s experience, facilities provided, post-operative care, and the number of days you stay at the hospital (in the case of C-section delivery you might have to stay at the hospital for at least 3 to 4 days), and more.
The cost of C-section delivery in Delhi typically ranges from INR 1,00,000/- to INR 2,50,000/-. In government hospitals, Cesarean delivery is done free of cost, you are only charged if you decide to go with a private ward instead of a general. In private hospitals, the cost of a C-section depends upon the hospital and the type of room (normal, deluxe) you choose.
Is natural birth painful?
Yes, natural birth is certainly painful and involves a lot of pressure and stress.
How painful is C-section delivery?
At the time of cesarean (C-section), the mother is injected with anesthesia, so that she doesn’t feel any pain. However, post-surgery when the effect of anesthesia starts to wear off, she will feel pain due to the incision made in the abdominal area.
How long does it take to deliver with C-section?
Generally, C-section delivery takes around an hour, however, each case is unique and the time may vary depending upon the condition of the mother and the baby.
What are the options if Normal Delivery fails or is not successful?
If normal delivery is not possible, then the doctor may recommend and go for Cesarean (C-section) delivery.
Can I have a baby vaginally after a cesarean delivery?
Yes, it is possible to have a vaginal delivery after cesarean delivery. This is known as Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC). It is possible if you have a healthy pregnancy, are pregnant with a single child, and your first cesarean cut was low transverse.
Is delivery of baby covered by insurance?
Maternity insurance covers all expenses up to a certain pre-defined limit for your delivery. The coverage is available for normal as well as C-section deliveries.